Tuesday, April 6, 2010

5 Things Your Customers Should Never Hear
























I'm shocked at how some companies seem to have divorced the word "service" from the word "customer". What has happened?
Just recently, my customer experiences with a well-known brand have been frustrating and unpleasant. Here are the five comments I heard from this company that finally drove me to a competitor. And, I was thrilled to be paying twice what I would have paid otherwise because the experience was so incredible.

It's Not My Job: I don't care about your job description. If you are speaking to me and I didn't get through to the night watchman by mistake, at least make an attempt to be helpful. Your voice mail system is friendlier but it can't help me.

Those Are the Rules: I'm the profit center or hadn't you noticed? I'd like to give you $1000 but your rules are getting in the way.

That's Another Department: Your silos don't interest me. Your web site said I could have that color.

We Don't Know When That Part Will Be Available: Then why did your web site let me build a configuration with that part?

My Supervisor Will Just Tell You the Same Thing: Let's see what s/he says when I Twitter and blog about this experience.

Somewhere along the line, this company thought it could get by with third-class service but no one can afford to do that these days. Maybe it was a cost-saving measure but skimping on service is a losing strategy.

Clearly no one at my former technology supplier thought to connect those moments of truth that roll up into a customer experience otherwise the web site would have been in sync with its supply chain. How can you let that happen when you've promoted a build-it-yourself-you-can-have-it-in-three-days experience as your competitive advantage?

I don't blame the sales/service representative. After all, those are the rules. And, he sounded as dejected as I felt by the end of our painful encounter. Someone at that company lost two customers; never to return. I wonder when the higher-ups will notice that a rush for the door is impacting earnings. I cannot be alone by the looks of their competitor's store when I walked in to buy my new laptop. People were stacked up like cords of wood.

Service isn't something that's nice to have: it will make or break all of us who sell something (which is all of us). What are YOU doing about your service? What are the things you never want to hear from your customers? Here's the one thing I don't want to hear: Good-bye.

4 comments:

  1. The core of this problem is played out weekly on "Undercover Boss". I'm amazed when the boss is appalled by bad employee behavior and surprised by good employee behavior. The disconnect between the leaders and the front line employees is bad and getting worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pat, you are so right! Of course it's leadership that causes this service problem. I really felt so sorry for that "service" rep; he couldn't have been more disengaged.
    Why are leaders so blind? Is it that they can only see spreadsheets and aren't connecting the dots between employees-customers-profit?
    thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, great post! Then a comment on a comment:

    "The disconnect between the leaders and the front line employees is bad and getting worse."

    This reminded me of a friend's recent experience with a local phone company. In repeated calls to their (Indian) call centre to try and establish that she was no longer a customer (even though she was getting billed) the representative actually said there was no 'supervisor' that she could talk to?!

    I am sure this was some reward-based system where escalation was measured (on a spreadsheet) and discouraged, and as a result the customer was left talking to some sub-contractor that did nothing but permanently sully the brand for that customer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adrian,
    Thanks for the feedback and what a sad story but all too common. Leaders certainly have a dilemma: who do they listen to? Finance? Sales? HR? An outside consultant? It's one reason I firmly believe that if a company behaves according to its core values, the right experience is delivered, the right metrics are in place and customers are a lot happier. The companies I like and buy from have to prove to me that they walk their talk. Otherwise my wallet is going elsewhere. I don't think I'm alone.

    ReplyDelete