Sunday, August 8, 2010

Hot Customer $ervice in the $ummer Time


















We’ve been sweltering through a crispy summer in Atlanta and I finally had to bite the bullet to install a new HVAC system.

Of course in these new days of austerity, it wasn’t a matter of picking the prettiest system; oh no, I had to do my homework. Onto the web sites I went, looking at systems, any deals that could be available and, most importantly, what my friends and neighbors are saying about the two contractors I short-listed.

While I had used a locally well-known provider for 15 years, I had a very disappointing experience with one of the company’s executives last year. However, I decided to give them the opportunity to make a service recovery and quote for my business. And, I added another local contractor that had very positive online reviews. Both quotes were very similar but I couldn’t shake the bad experience I had had with my current vendor.

After dithering for a month (it’s $10,000 after all; not exactly an impulse purchase), I phoned the sales person for the second contractor. We discussed scheduling and the fact that in this Sahara-like summer, I couldn’t do without air conditioning for a day and a half. Without hesitating, he arranged to bring a room air conditioner 5 days before the work was due to start because “there is no reason why you have to be uncomfortable”.

Do I have to tell you who got the business?

Bill was on time and dutifully dragged the unit upstairs and down until we found a window that would accommodate it. He installed it, tested it and ensured there was no escape of precious cold air into the outdoors. And he did it all cheerfully on a day with a 106 -degree heat index.

I’ve told everyone who is even mildly interested about my customer experience and why I didn’t select the first vendor. Of course, if anyone asks me, I’d happily recommend Bill and his company. I’ll also be doing online reviews because I found them very helpful when I was looking for a new HVAC contractor.

Lessons learned?

  • It takes only one conversation to lose a long time customer so if you have the words “Customer Service” in your title and you don’t live up to it, be prepared to lose your revenue base over and over again.
  • What your web site and marketing materials say had better align with how your employees behave with customers; it’s becoming easier to spot the differences. And, in this economy, people are fed up and aren’t putting up with sub-par service.
  • It only takes one small thing, in my case, the offer of a loaner air conditioner several days in advance of the installation, to completely surprise and delight a customer. We are so hardened to expect customer “no service” that when the unexpected happens, it produces multiples of satisfaction versus the actual expenditure of resources.
  • Online reviews are routinely part of a customer’s research. Ignore them at your peril. Google never forgets!
  • Word-of-mouth referrals and recommendations are incredibly important for any company.
  • Going above and beyond, often in small ways that are personal, is the greatest source of satisfaction, which will drive intention to buy, refer and repurchase. When everything else is equal between you and your competitors, this kind of differentiator stands out.


What is your company doing to surprise and delight your customers? Do you monitor what people are saying about you – or do you think customers don’t really take notice of other peoples’ opinions?

6 comments:

  1. I so agree it is those small things that matter and really don't take a huge amount of time to accomplish. A "good morning" when you are walk in a business. WI-FI at your hair salon so you can work instead of sit for an hour. Why can't most companies get this? It is not the glossy brochures, it's the small unexpected details that get customers attention!


    Great story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cathy,
    Thanks for the feedback. I think for companies like my new HVAC contractor, they have it figured out: giving good, old-fashioned personal service. Maybe they don't have a Marketing Department that promises a lot for a little investment and the C-suite buy into it. Maybe the priority has been using technology instead of people, hoping to reap the same benefits with IT that they have with process improvement.

    I suspect, because I've talked to quite of few employees at this company, that the tone is set by the CEO; everyone understands that it is the customer who generates revenue and they can do things within reason that show the customer she is appreciated.

    You're right, though, the companies that look at their organization from the outside-in seem to be more attuned to providing the personal touch. I like your story about WI-FI at the hairdresser; it's a perfect way to attract customers and, by the way, keep the stylists busy during slow times like mid-afternoon. Very smart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great post. Companies aren't 'doing customers a favor' by providing great service. Customers are doing companies a favor by patronizing them. Those of us in client service must always remember that and try to make every customer facing experience (whether the person is a current customer, or not) a memorable one - for the right reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment, Janine. Really, who of us isn't in customer service these days? We all have a role in that whether we are client facing or not.
    I like data and analyzing it as much as anyone, especially customer data. But, if that is seen as the only way a company makes customer service decisions, I really believe they will be missing out on a little of the "magic" of providing personal service and it's the intangible that people remember.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A great story Barbara. Many radio commercial promise great customer service. I often wonder how many actually deliver. BTW, don't forget to claim your tax deduction under the ARRA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Mike I've already notified my CPA!!
    I think the reason we all pay attention to online reviews, referrals and word-of-mouth is the big disconnect between what a company says it will deliver and what it actually does deliver.

    ReplyDelete