Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Your Job is to Motivate: Fact or Fiction?














As a manager, I learned a long time ago that I couldn’t motivate anyone except me because motivation is internal and personal. I did learn, though, that the work environment can influence an employee’s motivation to achieve her own goals and that motivation positively affects performance and business results. Unfortunately, the wrong environment results in an equal and negative impact on motivation.

I just finished reading Dan Pink’s new book, Drive as well as a white paper published by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) on motivation. These are good resources and I recommend them. Both sources agree that there are a number of things at work that can influence motivation including engagement, commitment and job satisfaction.

As a manager, what does all of this research and thought leadership mean to me? How am I going to apply it? Here is the “how” of influencing motivation from my perspective:

It Starts With Selection. Hiring people with the internal orientation, not just the skills, has to be Job #1. Asking interview questions that help you assess the level of motivation present in a candidate is invaluable. Examples:
  • “What is it about XYZ Company that makes you think this is the right place for you?”
  • “What kind of work makes you excited to be at your job every day?”
  • “What do you want to know from me?” (I think this one is key. If the candidate doesn’t have a clue, that’s a clue for you).

It’s Not Always About the Money (or the t-shirt or mug). As Dan Pink pointed out in Drive, extrinsic motivators work in very limited circumstances but intrinsic motivators work in a high percentage of scenarios. This isn’t an issue of pay; if that is out of line, morale and engagement will suffer.

What kind of intrinsic motivators could work with your staff? You’ll have to ask them because motivation, like fingerprints, is unique to the individual. This is where asking relevant questions specific to your company on an employee survey can provide great insights, especially when linked to other employee data and financial results.

Sometimes It’s About You. People don’t often leave their jobs but they do leave their managers. Here are some of the issues I’ve read when analyzing clients' employee engagement studies:
  • Showing favoritism
  • Not communicating often enough – or at all
  • Pointing out failures but not successes
  • Managing every detail of my job
  • Not listening to my ideas
  • Not allowing the flow of information to trickle down from senior management and percolate up from me.
Thinking about your own performance as a manager, here are questions you can ask of yourself:
  • Am I managing someone’s job or managing results?
  • Do I play favorites or let my personal likes and dislikes influence how work is done?
  • Is information my personal power base, accessible by only a chosen few in my team?
  • Do I insist on making all of the decisions or do I share that with all team members?
  • Am I onboarding my new team members or do I leave that strictly to the HR department?

That Vision Thing. This is a tune I will continue to sing. Talking about the company’s vision, strategy and plans for the future often and with a consistent message is critical for commitment and therefore motivation. What if your company doesn’t have a concrete vision or strategy? Ask yourself:
  • What results am I accountable for?
  • What is the mission of my department/team/unit? What does it exist to do?
  • How does my team contribute to the company’s results?
  • How do I communicate our mission and our team goals?

Measure Progress Toward Results. Spread the News. End of story.

As Gary Hamel, a leading thinker on strategy, often says, leaders are needed at every level of a company. Providing a working environment that positively influences employee motivation can start right in your office, no matter what your title.

I’d love to hear what you are doing to influence employee motivation at your organization.

6 comments:

  1. Excellent article. The quintessential leaders are those who make it easy for others to motivate themselves and the 5 suggestions here are spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pat. Always good to hear from an expert on the issue of leadership.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. The key points for me the Queen of HR :) is that motivation i personal and managers can influence that with things like engagement, which is also DIFFERENT in different cultures. So, one size fits all HR strategies should be said BYE BYE to! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES, Queen of HR! To your point, there is not much left that is one-size-fits-all in HR or in the customer arena: in short, wherever human beings are in the equation. So, while it's costly to create unique programs for everyone, as you know, by gathering the right data from multiple channels, we can do pretty well to see patterns, find trends and then we can do a better job of being predictive about what influences employee motivation.
    Thanks for the input.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree motivation is internal but at some point the environment can have a detrimental effect on the most motivated and driven person! Thanks for the great blog as always and the recommended readings!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your comment and I couldn't agree more. Give any highly motivated individual a toxic work environment and they couldn't possibly stay or stay and be engaged or satisfied with their work. It's why I think managers have the best opportunity to influence motivation but let's face it, no one can breathe life into someone who is only fogging a mirror!!

    ReplyDelete